Friday, June 15, 2007

June 11. 23Things.

On June 13, Maryland librarians went to a day long workshop on...Poetry! ESRL as usual offered the courtesy of their van with an excellent driver- Jessica Smith-Harper. Jessica, my hats off to you - the way you whizzed through the city traffic, you would do well in Rome, Italy or even Bombay!

The workshop was excellent with stimulating presenters and poets from the Poets House in New York City. They encouraged all librarians to start a program Poetry's Here @ Maryland Libraries. This is a project of Maryland Center for the Book - designed to bring poets and poetry to Maryland Public Libraries.

I think it is about time we promoted Poetry in libraries and schools.

Poetry heals the wounds inflicted by reason.

More on this in future blogs.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Cher, thanks for the compliments about my driving! Maybe someday I'll get the chance to drive in those places you mentioned!

I loved that workshop, didn't you? I'll keep you posted about what we do to incorporate more poetry. I can't wait!

Cher said...

I think it was one of the best! Yes, keep me posted - maybe we can join forces and create a real super program that all the kids will want to become future Poet Laureates!